All of our staff are either teachers at Friends Academy, teachers from area schools, professionals in their field, or both. Assistants to our teachers include college students with an interest in education, as well as reliable high school students looking for meaningful community service.
All staff have passed CORI, SORI, and finger print checks.
Our philosophy for our summer programs reflects the Friends Academy mission:
The mission of Friends Academy is to provide each student with an educational foundation that will instill the academic knowledge, skills, and understanding; responsible citizenship; respect for diversity and differences; and sense of wellbeing needed for a lifetime of learning and personal growth.
THIS MISSION IS BASED ON THE BELIEFS THAT:
- academic knowledge, skills, and understanding include the areas of English, mathematics, natural and social sciences, world languages, and the arts and the skills of reading, reasoning, computing, investigating, writing, speaking, problemsolving; and creating;
- responsible citizenship includes honesty, commitment, and respect for others, the environment, and the community;
- respect for diversity and differences involves building a community and creating programs and curriculum that are attentive to issues of learning, race, ethnicity, family configuration, sexual orientation, gender, religion, and economic status; and
- a sense of wellbeing is nurtured through the development of selfesteem, selfconfidence, and healthy social interactions.
WE BELIEVE THE GOALS OF THIS MISSION ARE BEST MET BY:
- achieving academic excellence by challenging students at an appropriate level;
- nurturing development within a school community environment;
- stimulating curiosity and desire to learn;
- offering a wide range of individual and collaborative learning activities;
- providing opportunities for service to others; and
- working in partnership with parents.
Accomplishing the mission of Friends Academy is the shared responsibility of the whole school community. For that reason Friends expects of all students, teachers, staff, trustees and parents a dedication to academic excellence, a willingness to work energetically and cooperatively toward common goals in all activities, a respect both of r themselves and for the individual differences of others, and a determination to reach beyond merely comfortable limits of knowledge and experience.