Orton-Gillingham Training (Virtual, August 2021)
The Sally Borden Program at Friends Academy is sponsoring a virtual Orton-Gillingham Institute, which provides training courses for educators and parents. There are two program options: a 30-hour training at a Classroom Educator level and a 60-hour training which prepares its participants for the Associate level at the Academy of Orton-Gillingham Practitioners and Educators.
Dawn Nieman, a fellow at the Academy and an experienced Orton-Gillingham teacher, will provide these virtual courses during sessions this summer. Dates for the Orton-Gillingham Associates Training will be:
- Classroom Educator Level: Monday, August 9 through Thursday, August 12, 2021 (8:00am – 4:00pm with 1⁄2 hour lunch break)
- Associate Level: Monday, August 9 through Saturday, August 14, 2021 (8:00am – 4:00pm with 1⁄2 hour lunch break); Friday, August 27 & Saturday, August 28, 2021 (8:00am – 4:00pm with 1⁄2 hour lunch break)
**If you cannot attend one of the above live Zoom sessions, a video recording will be available for 48 hours. Students must attend the live sessions a minimum of 24 out of the 30 hours for the Classroom Educator Level and for each 30 hours of the Associate Level.
During this training, participants will learn about dyslexia and reading difficulties as well as the following fundamental elements of the Orton-Gillingham approach:
- Introduction to phonology
- Basic phonics
- Morphology and words derived from Anglo-Saxon, Latin, and Greek
- Strategies for multi-sensory instruction
- Formal and informal testing and how to use that information for tutorials
- Orton-Gillingham lesson planning
- Writing and grammar skills
- Handwriting instruction
- Mock tutoring session
Once participants have successfully completed the course, they may then begin working on a practicum. This practicum will take place throughout the school year and prepare trainees to apply to the Academy of Orton-Gillingham Practitioners and Educators.
The cost of this intensive 60-hour Orton-Gillingham course is $1,650. The 30-hour course is $1,150. Both costs include the provision of all class materials. If you are interested in participating in these trainings, please fill out the registration form and send it to Friends Academy. Space is limited. If you have any questions, please email Laura Velazquez, Director of Sally Borden Connect.
Customized Workshops & In-Services
Do you have a specific topic that you would like presented to your school or district? We create customized presentations on many topics related to learning diversity. We can provide teacher education on the topics of:
- Executive Functions
- ADD & ADHD
- Differentiation in the classroom
- Multi-sensory Instruction
Please contact Laura Velazquez, Director of the Sally Borden Program, for more information and pricing.