The Sally Borden Program at Friends Academy is sponsoring an Orton-Gillingham Institute, which provides training courses for educators and parents. There are two program options: a 30-hour training at a Classroom Educator level and a 60-hour training which prepares its participants for the Associate level at the Academy of Orton-Gillingham Practitioners and Educators.
Dawn Nieman, a Fellow at the Academy and an experienced Orton-Gillingham teacher, will provide these virtual courses during six/eight sessions this summer and fall. Dates for the Orton-Gillingham Associates Training will be:
- Classroom Educator Level: Monday, August 10 – Friday, August 14, 2020 (9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.; 1:00-4:00 p.m.)
- Associate Level: Monday, August 10 – Saturday, August 14, 2020 (9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.; 1:00-4:00 p.m.); Monday, August 17 – Friday, August 21, 2020 (4:30-6:30 p.m.); Saturday, Sept. 19 and Sunday, Sept 20 (9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.; 1:00-4:00 p.m.)
During this training, participants will learn about dyslexia and reading difficulties as well as the following fundamental elements of the Orton-Gillingham approach:
- Introduction to phonology
- Basic phonics
- Morphology and words derived from Anglo-Saxon, Latin, and Greek
- Strategies for multi-sensory instruction
- Formal and informal testing and how to use that information for tutorials
- Orton-Gillingham lesson planning
- Writing and grammar skills
- Handwriting instruction
- Mock tutoring session
Once participants have successfully completed the course, they may then begin working on a practicum. This practicum will take place throughout the school year and prepare trainees to apply to the Academy of Orton-Gillingham Practitioners and Educators.
The cost of this intensive 60-hour Orton-Gillingham course is $1,650.00. The 30-hour course is $1,150.00. Both costs include the provision of all class materials. If you are interested in participating in these trainings, please fill out the registration form and send it to Friends Academy. Space is limited. Download a PDF of our informational teacher letter here.
If you have any questions, please contact (508) 999-1356.